Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nurses save the day! as usual!



It's back to Moffitt today for some labwork follow-up.

Jackie was the nurse assigned to me yesterday. She was a pure delight. And funny! She had us cracking up the whole day. And after I had to fast until 12:45, she brought me the most delicious chocolate covered macademia nut treat to break the fast (as the jews say :-)


Christina was there too, which was nice to have a friendly face we already knew. Some shameful person threw away her tonge depressor person I made for her though. I'll have to pilfer some medical supplies soon to make up for it.


Maria breezed in to help and was very smiley. That's all the contact we had on the 1st day, but more will follow I'm sure.


Brenda was the third nurse that worked with us. She came in and told us if we needed to go take care of Jake, that we could go early and they'll just document it. She said it won't affect the trial or get me booted out. She agreed that we should have been told it's a 14 hour day, not a 10 hour day. She also went through my whole schedule with me to explain what would happen on each day. That way we'll know when to get Jake picked up after school and when we'll be home early. It was a great relief to get that information and she is just as nice and awesome as everyone else.


Heather also explained things really well and we are finding out if I really need to get Zometa every 3 weeks for the rest of my life or not. I'm going to talk to Dr. Minton about stretching it out because a few ladies I know that have been on it for a few years (I've been getting it by IV every 3 weeks for 2 1/2 years) have been experiencing jaw problems. Their bones start coming out of their gums-it's really gross. And once it happens, you can't fix it. So we're looking into maybe giving it to me a little less since I'm so young and healthy. Well, except for my own cells are trying to kill me.


Dr. Hahn stopped by to say hello. (I'll check the spelling on that later) Apparently she works with Dr. Minton and has shared patients with Dr. Shah in the past. She came by just to introduce herself to me. We asked her a few questions and she was awesome too.


So, thank you nurses for turning my Moffitt experience around. I look forward to kicking cancer's ass with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment