Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Feels Like the 1st Day

Well, I'm having a much better experience today at Moffitt than last week. The nurses are the absolute best. They are friendly and efficient and laugh at my crazy ass, so what more can you ask for?

We learned that Kathy was a nurse on the floor who started as a coordinator about 3 months ago. That explains her tentativeness and reluctance to admit the echo team is a bunch of douchebags that don't care about patients. I guess I'll let her off the hook--well, right after this....

Kathy and Karen both told me it would be a 10 hour day and be prepared to be here for the long haul. Then that adds about 4 hours drive time from Orlando as well. What they weren't clear about, was that it is 10 hours from the dosing of the medicine. After labs are drawn and run in the lab and after a 90 miunute infusion of Herceptin. So, I didn't receive my medicine dose until 10:45 AM which means my last blood draw of the night will be at 8:45PM. Which means I cannot leave this hospital until then. Which puts us back in Orlando after 11PM.

Now, we could have planned for accommodating for Jake better had we known this information, but oh well. I am hopeful that they will use some of this experience when communicating with patients in the future. Please oh please, tell people it's 10 hours from the dose, not 10 hours from when they arrive at 7 AM.

Also, it is unclear how many of these crazy long days are ahead as the schedule seems to be revealed as you go. This doesn't help with communicating to my employer or with child care, but I'm trying to learn to go with the flow.

Christy and Richard are here and we all got up at a horrid time. I am grateful for both of them for being here with me. Also, Julie's brother, David Sindler, dropped by as he is a medical student here at USF.

It does feel good to be getting medicine again. Let's kill some cancer, bitches! Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment